Western Union: How to Claim an International Remittance in USSC

Are you going to claim a remittance from overseas in Western Union? In this guide, I will share with you how to do it.

Take note, there are lots of Western Union agents scattered across the country, but in this post, I am going to introduce just one which is USSC. FYI, I’m not an employee of that company. I’m just claiming remittances most of the time through them.

Before I discuss the procedure step-by-step, I’m going to explain first the requirements. Read on.

What to Bring

1. Yourself [Personal appearance] – If you are the receiver,  or whose name appears on the sender’s form, you should be the one to encash the remittance. If you are wondering if you can send a proxy, the answer is nope.

2. A valid ID – This is a hot topic in most of the guides I have posted on this blog, and as much as possible, I want to be clear on this subject.

Please refer to this list of accepted IDs by USSC. Take note, I’m not referring to all WU agents. Just USSC.

  • Philippine or a foreign passport
  • Unified Multi-Purpose ID [UMID for short]
  • Driver’s License
  • SSS ID – the previous SSS ID before UMID. I think it is blue.
  • Senior Citizen Card
  • GSIS eCard Plus
  • Employee ID [government or private company] – preferably digitized.
  • Voter’s ID
  • Postal ID
  • NBI Clearance [not yet expired]
  • Student ID [for customers below 18]
  • Seaman’s Book
  • OFW Card issued by OWWA, POEA, or DOLE
  • Professional or PRC ID
  • IBP [Integrated Bar of the Philippines] card
  • PhilHealth ID card
  • TIN [Tax Identification Number] card issued by Bureau of Internal Revenue
  • DSWD Certification
  • Police Clearance
  • Alien Certificate of Registration
  • Firearm License

USSC reserves the right to ask for additional proof of identification. If you are in doubt of your ID’s validity, much better to bring two. No photocopy.

3. Remittance Information

The important details to take note of when claiming a remittance are the Money Transfer Control Number [MTCN], sender’s complete name, originating country, and the remittance amount [in Philippine Peso or other foreign currency like US dollars]. They must be written on the form accurately.

There are some USSC branches, like in Robinsons’ Galleria, that are particular when it comes to a remittance info. Before, a teller in that branch surprised me by asking the complete company name who sent money to me abroad. I only provided the general name excluding the Ltd. which I often do in other branches. For Pete’s sake, he really asked for that missing info. I held my breath as he almost returned the form to me because I am not blurting out the correct word. I thought the transaction will be declined. The good thing is the question turned into a funny guessing game and I was able to mention the magic word. Now that you are aware that this kind of thing happens, always remember to take note of the sender’s complete name, or better request a scanned or photographed copy of the form that he/she or the company’s representative filled out if possible.

Save a copy of the remittance info on your smartphone or a small piece of paper.

Join the Conversation


Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

  1. Sir can I ask Po , philhealth Id is valid to claim in WESTERN UNION ? worth 40k in Philippine money from Dubai?